CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Mexican Stepgrandfather Album Release at Limelight



I first saw Mexican Stepgrandfather perform about two years ago at the Flamingo Cantina in Austin, Texas. I instantly liked his music, lyrics and stage presence. After his set, I purchased the then current ESTERE-ERE-O CD and started a conversation with Marco Antonio Cervantes aka Mexican Stepgrandfather (MSG). Marco is a really nice guy. Originally from Houston, Marco has been living in San Antonio for years now. I discovered that he was an Associate Professor at the University of Texas San Antonio (UTSA). MSG is unique in many ways. He is not your run of the mill 19 or 20-something year old rapper. Liked I said, he is a professor. A master of the English and Spanish language, MSG uses bilingualism to create lyrics that tell a fascinating story. When I listen to his music, I just get it. I've either seen it or have been around that story he is rapping about. I also like the samples of old Mexican tunes he uses and how they're mixed.

I have seen MSG perform on two other ocassions: Una Noche de la Gloria 2009 at the Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center in San Antonio, Texas and at Mi Casa Cantina at Este Vato's CD Release in June 2010 in Austin.

I'm excited, MSG is having an Album Release at Limelight in San Antonio, Texas on November 20, 2010. I will be at the Limelight next Saturday because I want to see MSG perform and I want the new album, OCCUPIED STATE. I haven't asked about the album, songs or any background information because I want it to be new and fresh.

Below you'll see a great sample of MSG in an "Official" professionally produced music video.


The second is a video of an actual performance which gives you an even better sense of MSG in action.


Other artist performing at are:

Mojoe

Diego Bernal

Astex

Scuba Gooding Sr.





0 comments: