CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 22, 2010

I Survived the Mexican Stepgrandfather "OCCUPIED STATE" Album Release Party



I drove to San Antonio Saturday night to specifically see the Mexican Stepgrandfather perform at club Limelight. This was the first time I had been to Limelight, located on North Saint Marys Street, and I really had a great time. I would definitely go back again although the sound system could be better. I also enjoyed the eclectic but friendly crowd and the atmosphere was electric.

All the opening artists were great but the Mexican Stepgrandfather ruled the house. He did have full band and DJ support Saturday night although the new album uses more drum beats and live music rather music samples. The message is still political and very pertinent to the current anti-immigrant sentiment, social plight and relationship issues. OCCUPIED STATE has more featured artist than the first album, ESTERE-ERE-O, and less music samples which highlights Mexican Stepgrandfather lyrical skill.

When Mexican Stepgrandfather came out for his set, the crowd was anxious and happy to see him. They were cheering, jumping and dancing. Mexican Stepgrandfather poured out his heart and soul for the crowd that night and they gladly accepted the gift. At the end of the set, the crowd still wanted more. I wanted more. I can say we all left happy and content because we all had shared the same incredible experience. I extended the euphoria by listening to the OCCUPIED STATE CD on the way home.

Check out this video of "Falling Down" at Limelight.



Also check out "The System" off OCCUPIED STATE.







0 comments: