CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Free Week 2010 in Austin, Texas: Red 7



Every January for the last several years, the Red River District has "Free Week." Basically there is "No Cover" to get into the clubs and see tons of bands for 10 days. It is a huge event for music in Austin and many other clubs, not on Red River Street, have joined the annual event. I love Free Week because I can go to the clubs and see the bands that perhaps weren't on the top of my "must see" list although I do want to see them. This year one of the clubs I went to was Red 7 to see three local hardcore Punk bands: Sober Daze, Krum Bums and Lower Class Brats.

I've gone to see a couple punk bands before but this event was the most raucous. I'll usually stay as far back from the stage and the pit because it can get really rough. This time around I decided to get closer to the stage to take a few pictures when all of a sudden I felt someone pushing me into the pit. I turned around and got some kid in a headlock. I looked at him and he looked at me and I then pushed him into the pit. I quickly proceeded to the rear of the club and stayed there.

The bands were great, the music was hardcore and the audience generated a fantastic energy. This blog is definitely late but the videos were just recently downloaded by Red River Noise. Check out the video and see what I saw and experienced.







Note of Caution: the Pit is not for the meek or weak of heart. The possibility of getting kicked, punched, pushed around and getting hit with a beer bottle is extremely great.


Bookmark and Share


0 comments: