CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Arthur Yoria: Songwriter and Singer Extraordinaire



Every once in a while it seems I fall into a musical rut. I go see my favorite bands and listen to my favorite music over and over again. And sometimes to tell you the truth, it seems there are periods where there are no new up and coming bands or talent. I like to keep it fresh by discovering new bands, artist and music. I'll read tons of blogs, scour the The Austin Chronicle, do512.com, austin360 and social media to find those new artist. I will also ask musicians, people I meet at venues and people in the know, "Who do I need to go see?" I get various suggestions and many times I'll make it a point go see a recommended band. Occasionally, I'll come across a band or two that have that something extra special.

I went through a rut this past winter. It was a combination of the extremely cold weather and there just wasn't anybody new out there. Well, on a cold December night I decided to go to Momo's and thanks to Bemba Entertainment I came across Arthur Yoria. Arthur was the last set, the cold kept people at home and it was midnight. When Arthur started playing, I immediately knew Arthur was special. I literally said out loud, "damn this guy is good!" Arthur ingeniously used recorded loops, samples and beats to create music I've never heard before. I liked his stage presence and his demeanor. At that point I decided I had to know more about Arthur the singer/songwriter/musician, meet him and in my small way promote Arthur's music. I've seen Arthur perform several times since then plus I'm also on his e-mail list and Facebook friends. I've gotten to know Arthur on a personal level and he's a down to earth good guy.

Briefly, Arthur was born in Chicago, lived in Houston and circuitously is now in Austin. Arthur has a long list of accomplishment and credits that include songs in TV show, songs in movies and extensive touring. What I'm most impressed with is his variety and extensive catalog of music. When you listen to the lyrics, you get a glimpse of Arthur the person, his heart and his soul and his music delivers the message. Arthur is of Colombian heritage so his music will also include songs in Spanish. Arthur Yoria is that artist that got me out of my rut and brought a breath of fresh air to the Austin music scene. Put Arthur Yoria on your artist/band must see list and you to will say "damn this guy is good" too.






Bookmark and Share


0 comments: