CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Review: Austin Vida and Go Hispano Present Sexy Marvin



If you weren't at Stubb's Bar-B-Q on Wednesday, you missed the best show of the year. If you're asking, "Who in the hell is Sexy Marvin? Is he a guy? or What?" I had the same reaction when I heard about the showcase. I did go to Myspace to check out Sexy Marvin, a four piece band from Monterrey, Mexico, and I have to say I liked what I heard. I was also impressed by the bands they have shared a stage with, like Cold Play and Killers. I really didn't know what to expect but after seeing Sexy Marvin on Wednesday night, I have to say now I am a fan. I can see why they opened for Cold Play and Killer, they are that fantastic. Sexy Marvin has an Indie, Rock sound which everyone will like. Check out the video of "Follow" I recorded at Stubb's and you come to your own conclusion.



The other band on the line up, Vinyl Dharma, is a band that I had heard of but have never seen. They are a local five piece Austin band that won MTV2's On the Rise Contest and MTV2 also recorded a Vinyl Dharma performance at Stubb's which was featured on MTV2's "Austin Week" in December 2008. Vinyl Dharma is an Indie band with Electronica and Alternative influences which fit in perfectly with Sexy Marvin and they also blew me away. I also had an opportunity to talk to John Montemayor, guitar, about the band, their music and their Brownville, Texas background. John is a really nice guy, very friendly and was gracious enough to give me a copy of their Vinyl Dharma EP. I've been playing the EP over and over again and it's great. Get a copy if you can. Check the video I recorded at Stubb's of Vinyl Dharma performing "The Sunshine Rave."



The opening band, Rubik, is also from Monterrey and is a band that I last saw at Ruta Maya back in January. They play Alternative, Grunge and Britpop and I have also become a solid fan of Rubik. They played exceptionally well and complimented both Vinyl Dharma and Sexy Marvin music. I was again lucky to receive another CD, this time a copy of Rubik's "Abril" CD from Angie, the lead vocal and front girl. Thank you Angie and hope to see Rubik soon. I'm sorry to say I was unable to record Rubik that night but please view a Ruta Maya performance.



The showcase was presented by Austin Vida and Go Hispano and produced by Vivo Alternativo. I have to say they put together an exceptional line up and are to be congratulated for their creativity. There are other showcases in the making and you can bet I'll be there. Will you?


Bookmark and Share

0 comments: