CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"Groovin" on a Sunday Afternoon with Los Texas Wranglers



After seeing the entries in do512, austin360.com and other local periodicals advertising Los Texas Wranglers at Mi Casa Tamales and Cantina every Sunday from 3:00-7:00 PM, I knew I had to go see them. It's been about a year since I've seen Los Texas Wranglers at the 40th Annual Fiesta Amistad in Round Rock, Texas and you'll be able to see them again this year at the 41st Annual Fiesta Amistad. I'm sorry to say that I missed Los Texas Wranglers at the SXSW Tejano Music Showcase on March 18, 2010 although I did get to see Ruben Ramos and The Mexican Revolution and Little Joe y La Familia. I did record and downloaded videos of Ruben Ramos and Little Joe which you can see on my Youtube MannyGoCrazy Channel.

It felt kind of unusual going to 6th Street during the day because I tend to go downtown in the evening where clubs open their doors at 9:00 PM and the music starts around 10:30 PM or later and concludes at 1-2:00 AM. I do have to admit that I kind of liked this day time event because there's daylight, I didn't have to pay for parking, the streets weren't crowded with drunks and who doesn't like Groovin' on a Sunday Afternoon? I also have to admit that I like Mi Casa Tamales and Cantina. I have seen a lot of good bands at Mi Casa, eaten a few tamales and drunk a few beers. I like the comfortable atmosphere, the long bar and there's ample seating.

Even though Los Texas Wranglers were scheduled to perform 3-7:00 PM, they did have an opening band. The 211 Band performed approximately an hour and played Latin, Blues, Rock and Country. I liked the band's music, found them very entertaining and especially liked their interaction with the audience. I also had a chance to talk to Chris Cruz and find out more about the band. Like many Austin bands they're trying to establish a presence and a following. In talking to a lot of emerging bands, it a though road but the successful bands have a plan which includes social media, ie Facebook, Myspace, twitter and building alliances with other bands, both locally and regionally. Opening for Los Texas Wranglers is a step in the right direction because it introduces the band to a new audience and vice versa. Good luck and stay with it.



The Texas Wranglers also brought in a Ballet Folklorico Floor Show who performed "Baile de los Viejitos." The Texas Wranglers try to provide a show for the whole family to enjoy.



Los Texas Wranglers play all types of music and one thing that I've noticed is that people like to dance when they play. I saw this couple dance to most of the band's songs and I thought to myself, I wish I had their grace, style and stamina. I just enjoyed watching them dance.



Los Texas Wranglers have been together since 1999 and have become the standard for all other Conjunto bands to achieve. All the members are musically accomplished and have had or been part of other bands. The band specializes in Tejano/Conjunto music and also excels in Country, Blues and anything that makes you want to dance. Some of the awards Los Texas Wranglers have received individually and collectively at the recent Austin Music Awards include:

2009-2010 Austin Drummer of the Year - Julian Fernandez
#1 Latin Traditional Band of the Year
#2 Country Band of the Year
#5 Austin Band of the Year
#5 Album of the Year

Just to name a few of many awards.



You can catch Los Texas Wranglers' performance this Sunday at Mi Casa Tamales and Cantina located at 503 East 6th Street in Austin, Texas. The event is FREE and the music and entertainment are from 3:00-7:00 PM.

Mi Casa Tamales and Cantina supports Tejano/Conjunto music so please come and show your support for Los Texas Wranglers and keep Tejano/Conjunto downtown.


Bookmark and Share

0 comments: