CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Review: Austin Vida's Nacional Records Listening Party


I attended Austin Vida's Nacional Records Listening Party on Tuesday March 2nd and had a great time. This is the second Listening Party in this series that I have attended and you will definitely find me at the next party on March 30, 2010.

There are several things I have enjoyed about the Listening Party:

First, I like the venue, Mi Casa Tamales and Cantina at 503 East 6th Street in Austin, Texas. Mi Casa has a long bar where you can sit or just hang out while you watch three big screen televisions. There is plenty of additional sitting with tables and chairs and a long bench sit the length of the venue. Mi Casa not only provides a really comfortable atmosphere, they have tamales! They offer delicious pork, chicken, chicken with verde sauce and vegetarian tamales and they are large and over stuffed with the filling. This fact that they offer tamales as well as drinks sets Mi Casa apart from surrounding venues. Additionally, they have a good sound system and ample floor space for dancing or just standing close to the band or DJ.

Second, the DJ and the music. DJ Chorizo Funk spins some excellent funky, soulful Latin tunes. I've been to a lot of events and venues where the DJ is the focal point and the DJ either makes or breaks the event. DJ Chorizo Funk makes this party happen. He grabs you with his music as soon as you walk in the door and keeps your attention for the rest of the night. I found myself, as well as other people, saying "Damn he's good." The Nacional Records CD releases have also been pretty good with Chocquibtown being my favorite. Check out DJ Chorizo Funk's website,, www.djchorizofunk.wordpress.com and listen to his music, I promise you'll like it as much as I did.



Last but not least, the Give Aways! When you come into Mi Casa, you are given a ticket that will put you into the drawings for prizes. The prizes include copies of Nacional's CD releases, Nacional Records T-shirts and stickers plus the Grand Prize. The past two grand prizes have been pretty good and definitely a good reason to come to the Listening Party. The first party gave away two tickets to Austin's Carnaval and this recent party gave away two tickets to Los Amigos Invisible show on Friday April 2, 2010 at Antone's.

Oh, I almost forgot the most important reason I like the Listening Party, the people I've met. I've met some really cool people and shared some tamales and good conversation. Tuesdays are that much better. Hope to see you there next time.

The Listening Parties are also in association with Bemba Entertainment.




Bookmark and Share

0 comments: